Re-Homing Your Silky Terrier
If you are reading this, it is likely that you have contacted the Silky Terrier Club of America for assistance in finding a new home for your Silky Terrier.
If we are able to take your Silky into our rescue program, we will place it in a foster home. It will be necessary for you to relinquish ownership of your dog to the Silky Terrier Club of America. You will not be able to re-claim your dog after you have relinquished ownership. While the silky is in our program, we will provide the necessary veterinary care. We will evaluate the Silky Terrier and determine whether it is a candidate for adoption, and if so, what kind of a home is needed. We cannot guarantee that we will be able to place a Silky that has been turned over to us. If the Silky is a candidate for adoption, we screen applicants as carefully as we can. We check references, including a veterinary reference, and we usually try to visit the prospective home in person to check it out. Adopters are required to pay a fee and sign a contract. The contract states that the adopter agrees to provide proper care for the dog. It also says that if the adopter can no longer keep the dog, the adopter must give the rescue program 30 days to reclaim the Silky Terrier.
As much as we would like to help each and every silky in need of assistance, our resources, both human and financial, do not allow us to take every silky in need into our rescue program. We give priority to Silkys who are in shelters and in desperate need of help because they are often at risk of being put to sleep or adopted to homes that may not be prepared to properly care for a Silky Terrier.
In situations where we cannot take the Silky Terrier into our rescue program, we may be able to help the owner find a new home for the Silky by posting the Silky on the Silky Terrier Rescue Web Site and email list. If you would like to have your Silky posted, here are our basic requirements:
Here is what we will do if your Silky is listed:
- The Silky Terrier must be spayed or neutered before he/she is listed on the web site. We cannot participate in placing a silky which might end up as breeding stock in a puppy mill or similar situation.
- The Silky Terrier must be up to date on vaccinations.
- You must ask a reasonable fee from the adoptive home. We suggest $100 to $150 for most Silkys.
- You must carefully read our information on re-homing your silky, which will give you suggestions about how to select an appropriate home, a sample adoption contract which you can use, and alerts on issues that require caution. Click here to view this information.
- You must fully disclose, in the posting, any health or behavior problems that you know about.
- We will need a written description from you about the Silky and any special needs that it has. You must provide full disclosure of any problems, but we also encourage you to describe your Silky's positive points in detail. We would like to include a picture, although it is not required. We find that we get a much better response from potential adopters when a picture is posted. (We can scan a picture if necessary.) Please look at this example of a page to help in preparing your description.
- At this time, there is no charge for listing a silky on our web site. However, we encourage you to make a donation to the Silky Terrier Club of America rescue fund in return for a listing on the rescue web site and email list. All donations to the STCA rescue program are used for care of the silky terriers in our program.
- Your silky will be posted on the Silky Terrier Rescue main page, and on a page specifically devoted to your silky. This posting will remain on the site as long as necessary...until a new home is found or until you request the listing to be removed. If an update to the posting is needed, we will revise it as necessary.
- Your silky will be posted on the Silky Terrier Rescue email list. The posting will remain on the periodic updates sent to the list until the dog is placed or until you request that we remove the listing. We will also post the Silky on the Silkydog-L email list.
- It will be your responsibility to interview applicants, check references, and make a decision about the adoption of your Silky Terrier.
If you are interested in having your Silky Terrier posted on the web site, please email us at SilkyRescueCM@yahoo.com.
Click here to view our disclaimer statement. home.. contacts.. newsletter.. adoption faq.. updates.. training.. lost & found.. screensaver.. poem..
silky 4 u?.. links.. seniors.. help.. success.. web rings.. disclaimer.. application.. shop.. special needs silkys